ZESTY QUINOA SALAD
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Avocado
Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, avocado, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.
Makes 6 servings
LENTIL QUINOA SALAD
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups water, plus 2 cups
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lime, zested
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse in cold water. In a large microwave-proof bowl with a cover, add the rinsed quinoa and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover and microwave on high for 9 minutes. Let it sit for 2 minutes then stir. Quinoa should be tender enough to eat, but with a little “pop” upon biting.
Put the lentils in a sieve and rinse in cold water. In a saucepan, simmer the lentils in 2 cups water until the lentils are tender, but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Drain and cool.
In a small bowl, whisk the mustard and vinegar together, and drizzle in the oil to make an emulsion. Add the garlic powder, lime zest, and salt, and pepper, to taste.
To assemble the salad: In a medium salad bowl, mix the quinoa, lentils, green onions, and chopped cilantro. Top the salad with the dressing, toss to coat and serve.
GOLDEN SUNSHINE QUINOA SALAD
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned low-sodium broth
- 4 scallions, light and white green part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer the quinoa until it has expanded fully, about 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
Place the cooled quinoa in a large bowl. Add the scallions, raisins, rice vinegar, orange juice and zest, olive oil, cumin, cucumber and parsley and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, then serve.
Serving Size: 3/4 Cup
AZTECAN QUINOA SALAD
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 5 pickling cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 2 bunches mint, leaves only, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced, for garnish
- Cracked Black Pepper Garnish, (optional)
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the quinoa, stir once and return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over moderate heat 10 minutes. Strain and rinse well with cold water. Shake the sieve well to remove all moisture.
When dry, transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients and toss well. Serve on lettuce-lined plates, topped with avocado slices and optional cracked pepper garnish.
GREEK QUINOA SALAD
- 3-4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (you may use any flavor you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice from one lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced if desired
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Gently toss the quinoa together with the remaining ingredients, except feta. Pour the olive oil mixture over the quinoa.
Add more salt and pepper to taste and gently stir in the feta cheese.
You may also add any additional vegetables that you like, such as lightly steamed broccoli, snap peas or diced bell pepper.