- ¾ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp light coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Chia seeds or flaxseed
- 4 ice cubes
Fruit/fiber (choose 1)
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 8 strawberries
- 4 ounces mixed frozen berries
- ¾ cu seedless red grapes
- 1 tangerine or small orange
Healthy fats (choose 1)
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tsp natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp sunflower seed butter
Flavorings (choose none, 1, or both)
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
A typical shake:
- 320 calories * 15g protein * 11g fat * 7 g fiber
CAJUN SPICE CHICKEN FINGERS
Recipe from alifewithouticecream.blogspot.com
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of onion powder
1 pkg of chicken strips (or 2 breasts sliced)
Sprinkle the chicken with spice. Grill over medium high heat until cooked to an internal temperature of 165F.
ZUCCHINI BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
Recipe adapted from ambitiouskitchen.com
Yield: 12 large muffins
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free baking flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 small to medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mini or regular chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, mix Chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes, until Chia seeds have absorbed the water and become gelatinous.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Squeeze shredded zucchini of excess water with a paper towel! This is an important step.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, add mashed banana, oil, honey, vanilla and Chia seed mixture; mix until smooth. Add in zucchini, applesauce, and yogurt and beat again until well combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix the batter. Gently fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. The batter will reach the top of each muffin liner. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 156 Fat: 4.4g Carbohydrates: 28g Sugar: 14g Fiber: 3.0g Protein: 4.3g
KALE AND CHICKPEA SOUP WITH FETA CHEESE
Yield: 8 cups
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb kale, center ribs discarded, leaves finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and dreained
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- ¼ cup crumble reduced-fat feta cheese
- In a 5-6 qt pot, cook the garlic and pepper lackes in the oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until the garlic begins to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in the kale and ocok, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, chickpeas, and black pepper. Cover and simmer until the kale is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar. Sprinkle each serving with ½ Tbsp feta cheese
KALE SALAD WITH FETA, GRAPES, AND PUMPKIN SEEDS
Makes: 4 servings
Total Time: 29 minutes
- ¾ pound kale, ribs removed and leaves cut up
- ¼ cup hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups halved red grapes
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Add the pumpkin seeds, red grapes and feta cheese to the kale and top with the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
BAKED SWEET POTATOES WITH PEANUT SAUCE
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 3-4 TBSP hot water
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Arrange the sweet potatoes, slightly overlapping, in a 7 x 11-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the orange juice, oil, honey, and 1/8 tsp of the salt. Drizzle the mixture over the sweet potatoes, cover the dish with foil, and bake until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter, giver, half of the scallions, the remaining 1/8 tsp salt, and the hot water until blended.
- Serve the sweet potatoes drizzled with the peanut sauce and sprinkled with the cilantro and remaining scallions.
167 calories * 3g protein * 5g fat * 4g fiber